- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups (40 fl. oz./1.25 ml.) chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. (250 g.) vermicelli, broken into 2-inch (5-cm.) pieces
- 1 bunch spinach, stemmed
- 4 eggs
- Hot sauce, such as Sriracha, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the vermicelli, return to a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add the spinach and stir through just until it is wilted, about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low to keep the soup warm while you prepare the eggs.
- In a nonstick frying pan, spray the pan with cooking oil. Fry each egg until it is set but the yolk is still runny, 5-6 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a fried egg. Serve, passing the hot sauce at the table, if using. Serves 4.