- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 pound pulled chicken
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon pasilla chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 1 can plum tomatoes drained and pureed (15.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 can of black beans (15.5 oz)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- sour cream
- heat 2 tablspoons of the oil in a large pot over high heat. Season the bison with salt and pepper and half of the meat to the pan in an even layer and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the meat and repeat with the remaining bison and oil.
- add the onion to the pan and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ancho powder, pasilla powder and cumin and cook for 2 minutes. add the beer, bring to a boil and cook until reduced by half. 3 to 4 minutes.
- return the bison to the pan and add the pulled chicken, chicken stock, tomatoes, and honey. bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour.
- add the beans and continue cooking for 15 minutes. remove from the head and add the lime juice.
- Ladle into chili bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream.